Hardwood floors add a lovely warm touch to your home. However, if they’re treated improperly, they’ll start to look dull over a short period of time. Luckily, all you need is a couple of good tips and tricks and your wooden floors will stay gleaming for a long time.
A great way to ensure your floors are clean and safe is to opt for a dependable maid service in Westlake. Still, it’s useful to know how to properly treat them so you can successfully perform it on your own when needed. Keep reading to find out how.
How do you clean dirty hardwood floors?
For regular floor maintenance, all you need is a solution of mild wood detergent and a couple of clean rags or towels. However, if you’re dealing with quite dirty floors and a lot of grime, you need to apply a different procedure.
- First, you need to vacuum the area thoroughly and remove any loose grime and dirt.
If necessary, go over the area several times.
- Next, make a solution of 1 gallon of warm water and ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar.
- Dampen a cotton cloth with the solution making sure you wring it out really well.
- Wipe a small area with it and immediately dry the treated section with a clean cloth to prevent the wood from soaking up water.
- Keep repeating until you cover the entire surface.
For your floors to remain dirt‐free, make sure you vacuum them regularly. High traffic areas such as the living room and entrance require vacuuming every couple of days. At the same time, it’s enough to do it once a week in the rest of the house. When it comes to mopping, you should do it once or twice per week, and once a month or per season in areas with less traffic.
Is it OK to clean wood floors with water?
Water and wood shouldn’t go together since wood absorbs water just like a sponge. However, it is OK to use water just as long you’re mindful of the amount you use. There are several good reasons why you shouldn’t apply it in large amounts:
- It can cause finish discoloration
- Boards may swell or cup if oversaturated
- The floor can become creaky, due to washed out adhesive
Here are the ways you can protect the floor from water:
- Don’t leave water ponds behind – wipe any spill immediately using a clean cloth
- Don’t use a wet or heavily dampened cloth or mop
- Don’t pour any kind of liquid directly
What types of tools should I use when wiping hardwood floors?
Rather than using a regular mop and a bucket of water, go for a damp microfiber mop followed by a spray of a hardwood-protective product.
A wet mop isn’t the greatest enemy of buffed hardwood floors. You should also avoid using a steamer. It poses an even threat to your hardwood floor as it may inject hot water between the boards, diluting the adhesive. This can also negatively affect the finish which may flake or peel.
What is a dependable maid service that can take care of my home in Westlake?
If your hardwood or tiled floors need regular maintenance, or you want to sparkle up your kitchen countertops and make sure your sink is disinfected, Yorleny’s Cleaning Service is the company you need. We guarantee customer satisfaction thanks to our dedicated staff who always go out of their way to meet the needs of every single client.
Instead of letting chores take priority, take some nice time off and pay an exciting visit to the Lion Country Safari while we take care of your home. Give us a call now!